…if someone tells you that all the fights are over, and nobody needs to bother about being a feminist any more, think about these questions.
– How come, on average, girls do much better than boys at school and uni, yet women are more likely to be in lower paid part-time or casual jobs with fewer benefits and worse conditions?
– Why are most managers, bosses and politicians men?
– How come the average full-time wage for women is still less than the average weekly earnings for men? (In most cases, less than or around 80% of the man’s wage.)
– What is the ‘glass ceiling’ – and why do women keep talking about it?
– Why is it that in many countries women who have been raped are arrested and punished because they are no longer ‘virgins’?
– Why is it that in some cultures girls’ genitals are mutilated? And why are girls in some countries forced to cover themselves entirely with fabric or risk being insulted or assaulted in public or legally punished?
– Why is it that in many cultures young girls are ‘promised’ to older men and forced to marry against their wishes?
– How come so many guys in our own society don’t respect girls and women or their achievements?
– Why do some people persist in behaving as if girls are just toys for guys?
– Why do some girls feel they need to know ‘What guys want’ and ‘Will guys like it if I…’? Wouldn’t it be nice if girls more often thought, ‘What would a guy have to do to impress me‘?
– Why is it that radio stations and music channel;s play songs in which guys call girls ‘hos’, bitches and other brutal, disrespectful things, as if it was nothing – as if it was okay to do that?
– How come more girl singers can’t sing their own songs dressed the way they want, instead of having to look as if they’re practically in a porn video?
– Why do some religious leaders say that women who have their period can’t enter a place of worship?
– Why is a teenage girl who gets pregnant sometimes asked or pressured to leave school, but the father of the baby isn’t?
– How come most of the sports reports (and sponsorships) are for men’s sports?
– Why do large corporations sponsor only (or mainly) men’s sports, not women’s?
– Why do so many radio and TV shows have lots of men but only one woman, never the other way round?
– How come male newsreaders and actors are allowed to get old and look ‘distinguished’, but the women have to try to ‘look younger’ by using cosmetic surgery?
– How come the mostly male politicians in the national government haven’t fixed the child-care problem?
– How come the mostly male politicians in the national government, many of them with a religious bias, make the rules about abortion when they will never be pregnant? And when most male politicians leave the raising of their families to their wives and disappear for weeks at a time?
– How come even the women who work full-time with children usually do a lot more of the housework than their partners?
– Why do so many children’s stories have male heroes, rather than female ones?
– How come women writers often write dramas and comedies with equal roles for guys and women, while most male writers tend to write interesting roles for guys but not so many good roles or lines for women? …
Being a feminist doesn’t mean you can’t wear girly clothes, or you hate guys. Being a feminist means you support girls and women have equal rights with guys.
I write about:
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008
- January 2008
- December 2007
- November 2007
- October 2007
- September 2007
- August 2007
- July 2007
July 2015 M T W T F S S « Feb 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31